Here are a few tips to help you reduce your risk of having a fall at home:
- Remove clutter from your home and walk carefully especially with pets underfoot
- Use a nightlight in the bedroom and bathroom
- Never stand on chairs to get something you can’t reach. Use a sturdy stool with a handrail or a ladder
- Do not use sink edges or towel bars for support as they can come away from the wall. Install proper grab bars in the bathroom
- Stay active and maintain your endurance, strength and balance. There are seniors’ fitness groups available for free in London.
- Immediately wipe spills or water from the floor. Even a small amount of water is a hazard
- Know your limitations. If you are having difficulty accomplishing a task, ask for help, or consult an occupational therapist for recommendations on how to accomplish the task safely.
For more information or to arrange a home safety assessment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our website at www.maxability.ca